IGNORED

FRAGMENTS

Allegra

adel abidin

Three Love Songs explores the multiple ways to use and manipulate images to create juxtapositions of meanings from the mundane to the extreme. This piece examines terror and love, and how façades are played through song, specifically Iraqi songs that were commissioned by Saddam Hussein, which were used to glorify the regime during his reign.

The installation syncs three stylized music videos (lounge, jazz and pop) that each features an archetypal western chanteuse: young, blonde, and seductive. Each video’s dramatic ‘look’ creates a different atmosphere; The lyrics are sung by the performers in Arabic (Iraqi dialect) and are subtitled in English and Arabic. The singers do not comprehend the content of the songs; instead, they are directed to perform, vocally and by gesture, as though the songs were traditional, passionate love songs. that underlines the uncomfortable juxtaposition – between the lush visual romanticism and the harsh meaning of the lyrics.

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Indy

• Takeshi

• roksi

• Caligula

• 2 weeks later...

We are recording tonight and because we are recording we are trying to do some things that actually are too tired to do. But as Faye Dunaway I think it was she she said when Bonnie and Clyde came out and hoped she tried to give people what they wanted. That's a mistake really I know but ah you can't do it but only have to ' You use up everything you got trying to give everybody what they want. But I will learn my lesson soon. And then you will buy more records right cos you gonna see me.

Okay let's see what we can do with this lovely lovely thing that goes past all racial conflict and all kinds of conflicts. It is a reflective tune and sometime in your life you will have occasion to say what is this thing called time. You know what is that ' the clock. You go to work by the clock you get your martini in the afternoon by the clock and you have your coffee by the clock and have to get on a plane at a certain time and arrive. It goes on and on and on and time is a dictator as we know it. Where does it go what does it do' Most of all is it alive, Is it a thing that we cannot touch and is it alive? And then one day you look in the mirror – how old – and you say, “Where did the time go?”

We leave you with that one.

Share & Enjoy

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...