IGNORED

Nick Cave

Indy

moze malo da saceka, sto se mene tice.

OK, nekoliko nedelja kasnije... dodjavola, prelepo je. (Po meni) samo treba zaboraviti da je to uopste neki tamo Nick Cave (Bad Seed/Grinderman/Birthday Party ludjak), treba skroz izbaciti iz glave smrt njegovog sina... samo se prepustiti muzici, i divno je. U stvari dosta post-rock, na momente ima glacijalnu lepotu Sigur Rosa. A elektronika mene malo asocira i na novi rad Anohni. Svakako, jasno mi je da se nekome nece svideti (iz raznih razloga, a najmanje onima koji ocekuju "rock'n'roll")... Ali, ako se izbaci iz konteksta Bad Seedsa (i ne razmislja o tome, a gde je tu Blixa, fali mi Mick Harvey, sto ovo nije rock'n'roll, a kamoli postpunk...) I ne razmislja previse o tome "a sta mu ovo znaci, i da li je to nesto o sinu?" Onda moze da priraste srcu, barem je tako kod mene.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Skeleton Tree clearly taps into your pain...

Okay, let me try and work this out... I don’t know wether this answers the question. But I think one of the problems most singer songwriters have in rock music is writing honest songs. Because if they are successful, they start to lead lives that are unlike other people’s. So to write songs that relate to common people, they have to pretend or put forward a false view of themselves.

I’ve found, as I became more popular, that I don’t go out much, I stay at home, I don’t see many people, I’m more isolated. And it suits me quite well, because my lifestyle evolves mostly around my work. But the idea of work, sitting and writing, has become the primary focus of the songs I write.
If you look at most of my songs, especially on Push the Sky Away, but also on Skeleton Tree, they are basically about a guy writing songs. Even something like Higgs Boson Blues is about a guy sitting in his basement, watching girls go past, from the italian language school next door, overhearing their conversations. Mermaids is about a guy sitting on the beach, looking at some activity going on, no longer being able to engage himself in it, for whatever reason.
It suddenly became clear that there was a way for me to write about myself on a level that people could relate to. I also think there is a strangeness about being Nick Cave that is also interesting to write about. It’s something that I am, I don’t have to pretend otherwise. I don’t have to write stories about fictional characters.

There is a lot of food and energy within my circumstances that make for interesting writing. It’s something I’ve always had a problem dealing with, and I haven’t said that to anyone else before. But that’s also why I believe my records feel authentic to me, specially these last two, for very obvious reasons. Because they are personal. I’m remaining true to myself.

• 3 weeks later...